Hope is no longer for the families of the missing in the building that collapsed on June 24 in Surfside, Florida. The emergency services have decided to put an end to the search for survivors in the rubble, announced Wednesday, July 7 the mayor of the county of Miami-Dade where the disaster occurred which killed 54 people, according to a latest report.
“It is with deep and deep sadness that I announce to you this afternoon that we have made the extremely difficult decision to move from the rescue and research phase to the collection phase. [des cadavres] »Daniella Levine Cava said, adding that 86 people were still missing.
“At this point, we have really exhausted all the options that were available to the rescue teams”added Mme Levine Cava, adding that eight other bodies had been found before the search for possible survivors was interrupted.
A round-the-clock search over the past two weeks of the rubble of what was once a twelve-story building on the waterfront in the town of Surfside, has not found any survivors, other than a teenager on the very day of the collapse. No less than 124 tons of debris were removed during the intense excavations, officials said on Tuesday.
The site swept by storm Elsa
Mexican and Israeli rescuers participated alongside American rescuers in these rescue operations in the rubble of the building. Most of the latter, called Champlain Towers South, collapsed in a still largely unexplained way, even if the building’s structure seemed degraded in places.
The rest of the building, with the instability considered dangerous, was the subject of a controlled demolition Sunday evening, which allowed the teams to progress in areas of excavations until then inaccessible.
The site was swept away Tuesday by winds and rain carried by Tropical Storm Elsa, which made landfall on the west coast of Florida on Wednesday.